Exterior WiFi access to the WPS networks are available for students and staff for their WPS issued devices at each of our schools. To view the WiFi access coverage areas, select the appropriate school below:
Virginia Avenue Charlotte DeHart Elementary School
WiFi Hotspots for Student Check-out
WPS has a limited number of filtered WiFi hotspots available for student check-out. The availability of these hotspots is currently limited to students in grades 6-12 through a pilot program partnership with T-Mobile's EmpowerED 2.0 Program. The devices are available through check-out from the library media centers and are intended for educational purposes with WPS issued chromebooks for students who do not have access to Internet at home.
WiFi-enabled School Buses
WPS utilizes a WiFi SmartBus solution from Kajeet to provide mobile filtered WiFi Internet access to students. By providing this mobile service on some of our buses we are able to provide students the opportunity to extend digital learning outside of the classroom, particularly on long bus rides for field trips and athletic events. During the COVID-19 pandemic we have been able to use WiFi-enabled buses parked in strategic locations as an additional resource for providing students with an opportunity for Internet access for distance learning. Click here for an interactive map and schedule of where and when the buses will be available for students to access the WiFi.
Additional WiFi Access Opportunities in Winchester
• Shenandoah University is offering SU-CommunityConnect WiFi free and available to the public from 7 am to 8 pm in response to COVID-19. Click here for the official annoucement and further details. Click here for a map of the access locations on their campus.
• Handley Regional Library offers free mobile hotspots available for check out from their 3 library locations. Click here for further details.
• Comcast is offering free Xfinity WiFi hotspot access to anyone in response to COVID-19. Click here for the official announcement and further details. Click here to search an interactive map to locate hotspots for a particular address or location.
• Comcast offers Internet Essentials to families and other low-income households who do not currently subscribe to Internet at home. Click here for further details, including eligibity requirements, pricing, and how to apply.
• Yelp reviews offer a list of the top free WiFi locations near Winchester. WPS has no affiliation with the establishments in these reviews, the review process, or the service availability, we are simply providing the list as a resource.