The Dual Language Program in Winchester Public Schools is designed for families who would like their children to learn another language while receiving the same high-quality academic curriculum as students throughout the division. WPS offers Spanish-English two-way Dual Language Programs at the following schools:
- Frederick Douglass Elementary School: Grades K-4* (Families zoned for GQES or JKES may choose to enroll at FDES to participate in the Dual Language Program.)
- Virginia Avenue Charlotte DeHart Elementary School: Grades K-3
- Daniel Morgan Intermediate School: Grades 5&6
- Daniel Morgan Middle School: 7 (2022-2023)
Dual Language Programs are a form of enrichment education based on over forty years of research showing the advantages of learning a second language through academic content instruction. The Spanish-English two-way immersion form of dual language is characterized as follows:
- Approximately half of the students are from Spanish-speaking homes and half from homes in which English (or another language) is spoken.
- Instruction integrates literacy and academic content knowledge in both languages.
- Curriculum focuses on challenging, age-appropriate academic skills and knowledge aligned to high standards for all students.
In keeping with the vision of WPS, the mission of the Dual Language Program is to provide an enriched bilingual, biliterate, and culturally competent educational experience for all students.