P-Card Purchasing Procedures
Requirements for Restaurant Purchases
- An invoice or receipt that shows a detail of the food and drinks purchased. Documentation should substantiate that cardholders did not make any prohibited purchases (i.e. alcoholic beverages). A credit card charge slip showing a total amount for the transaction cannot substitute for an itemized receipt.
- Amount of gratuity for wait staff should not exceed 20%.
- List on the receipt or attach a sheet of paper that identifies who ate at the restaurant as well as the purpose of the meeting/meal.
A completed and approved Professional Leave & Reimbursement Request Form must be included with your p‐card documentation if there are any travel related expenses such as hotel reservations or airline tickets. This form is typically submitted with expenses that have occurred prior to the travel taking place.
A completed and approved Professional Leave Reimbursement Voucher must be included with your p‐card documentation if there are any travel related expenses such as meals. This form is typically submitted with receipts after the overnight travel has taken place.
For any meals associated with non‐overnight travel, a completed Meals Justification Form must be included with the receipt in your p‐card documentation.
All charges must be for official school business. The following are considered to be prohibited transactions:
- Cash advances
- Personal purchases
- Alcoholic beverages
- Split purchases to meet purchasing limit
- Service Contracts
- Special Services: Independent Contractors, performers, consultants, speakers
- Employee benefits: entertainment, tuition
- Transactions prohibited by WPS Purchasing & Payment Guidelines
- Gas purchases
Requirements for ALL Purchases
Please obtain an original invoice or receipt from the vendor that shows:
- Itemized description of items purchased
- Transaction date
- Printed transaction total (not handwritten by the cardholder)
- Vendor name and other relevant vendor information (address, phone, etc.)
Winchester Public Schools is exempt from paying any State of Virginia sales and use taxes. This should be made clear to the vendor at the time of the purchase. The WPS Federal Tax ID # is: 54-6001685. The Finance Department can provide a Tax Exempt Form ST-12 for vendors.
Sales tax can only be paid on transactions for meals or lodging.
Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in disciplinary action as outlined in the School Board’s Policy Manual. In addition to any administrative and disciplinary action that may be taken, the employee may be required to reimburse WPS for the total amount of any improper charges through payroll deduction or direct payment.