Parents should register the child even if all of the information below has not been obtained. Questions concerning registration and enrollment should be addressed to the school the child will attend. General inquiries regarding the Kindergarten program can be addressed to Jake Boula, Director of Elementary Instruction, at (540) 667-4253.
A child must be five years old on or before September 30 of the upcoming school year to enroll in kindergarten.
A certified copy of the child's birth record is required.
A certificate of physical examination from a physician or a health department which was completed no earlier than one year prior to the first day of school.
Proof of residency in the City of Winchester. The parent or legal guardian must provide at least one document from the following list. The document must show the parent/guardian’s name and current Winchester address of residence as it appears on school registration documents. It must indicate a street address. A post office box or business address is not acceptable.
- Utility bill, not more than two months old, issued to applicant (examples include gas, electric, water/sewer, or phone bill). Cellular phone, cable and pager bills are not accepted.
- Receipt for personal property taxes or real estate taxes paid within the last year to the Commonwealth of Virginia or the City of Winchester.
- Current homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy.
- Current deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement or residential rental/ lease agreement.
- If the parent/guardian is unable to provide proof of residency in his/her own name, he/she must provide at least one document from the above list displaying the name of the person who is providing housing to the parent and student. In addition, the parent/guardian must provide a notarized form, signed by that person, verifying the parent/guardian’s and student’s residency at the address shown (complete Form JEC-R5). If further determination is needed, a referral should be made to the grade level Student Support Specialist or the Coordinator of Student Support Services. A home visit may be conducted by Student Support staff as necessary.