Whether your kids are just starting kindergarten or entering the final year of high school, there are many good reasons for parents to volunteer at school. We want to thank you in advance for your interest in volunteering at John Handley High School. The teachers, students and staff greatly appreciate the time you are willing to share through your volunteer work here.
Volunteering in a school is an experience and a privilege for both the school and the volunteer. It is designed to promote and maintain a supportive relationship with the students, teachers, and school staff. You will add greatly to the educational experience of our students.
Some of the ways YOU can HELP...
* Assist in the Library Media Center (LMC).
* Chaperone field trips.
* Help children by reviewing skills, concepts taught (vocabulary flash card drill, review mathematic facts, letter formation/handwriting skills).
* Assist teachers in preparation of bulletin boards.
* Assist teachers in duplicating/distributing instructional materials for classroom use.
* Teach a craft or hobby, talk about your occupation, share cultural and ethnic background and experiences.
* Help with clerical needs in the school office.
* Assist with assembling school handouts/distributions.
* Assist in the lunchroom and/or on the playground.
As a volunteer, please...
* Respect confidences of student and school personnel.
* Follow the guidelines established by the school such as dress code, hours of work, adult behavior, values and all regulations, rules, and policies stated for school employees and volunteers.
* Use reasonable judgment in making decisions, then as soon as possible, consult with school staff for future guidance.
* Be considerate, respect competencies and work as a member of the team with the staff and students. Realize that you do not have instructional, evaluation, decision-making or teaching responsibilities for students, but are expected to enrich and extend learning opportunities for students and promote educational excellence for the school system.
How do YOU get started?
* Contact John Handley High School office to get started today to be an approved Volunteer!
* Visit Winchester Public Schools Volunteer Job Listing for more information.