Welcome to School Nursing
The school nurse provides expertise and oversight of school health services as well as promotes heather education. Because healthy children are successful learners, school nurses advocate for the physical, emotional, mental, and social health of students.
- Provide preventive services
- Identify problems in the earliest stages
- Oversee interventions and referrals as a way to foster health and ensure educational success
- Serve as liaisons between school personnel, family, and community healthcare providers to ensure a healthy school environment
- Serve as consultants with other school professionals, such as food service personnel, physical education teachers, coaches, and counselors
- Monitor immunizations, managing communicable diseases, and assessing the school environment as to prevent injury and ensure safety
- Make decisions related to the delegation of healthcare tasks as directed by state laws and professional practice guidance
Important Things to Know
- Please do not send your child to school if he/she is ill, including recent cough, sore throat, muscle aches, vomiting, diarrhea, or fever of 100 degrees or more. They must be symptom-free for at least 24 hours before they can return to school, and without the need for medication to keep their temperature down. Please click on Virginia Department of Health COVID Algorithm to see how you can assess your student(s) before sending them to school each day.
- No medications can be administered without a healthcare provider's order, including Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Please do not send medication in with your child for them to administer to themselves.
- Due to health and safety concerns at this time, NO outside food/snacks are to be brought in for your child's classroom without special permission.
WPS Head Lice (PEDICULOSIS) Protocol
Winchester Public Schools is committed to providing a healthy environment for all students and employees. Click on the link to review WPS Head Lice Protocol and checklist for treatment.
Lice Protocol and Treatment
Update Your Contact Information
Please let us know if there is a change in your child's emergency contacts/phone numbers, even if temporary. Valuable time is lost when attempting to locate someone, especially if he/she is sick or injured.
Does Your Child Need Health Insurance?