Welcome to the Library
The Library is the Heart of every School.
The GQES Library is a warm welcoming and safe environment for our students to explore and personalize their academic growth and individual interests. Our goal is to provide learning resources and recreational reading materials for students, teachers, and staff while promoting a lifelong love of reading and learning. In addition to print books, our library offers digital resources, such as e-books and online databases, including PebbleGo and World Book Online. Students attend library class as part of the Specials rotation. The library is open during school hours.
What Are We Learning in Library?
The American Association fo School Librarians' Standards for Student Learning is the foundation for instruction. Library lessons are also developed to introduce, reinforce, and supplement the Virginia Standards of Learning.
During Library Special, students are working on:
- Finding a just-right book
- Locating and selecting books to read for enjoyment and to read for information
- Identifying parts of a book
- Developing library research skills and researching topics in collaboration with classroom instruction
- Exploring the online catalog, Destiny
- Navigating online databases and resources such as FIND IT VIRGINIA, PebbleGo. and World Book Online
- Learning to appreciate a variety of literature through author studies, Reader's Theater, music, and movement