Welcome to School Nursing
The school nurse provides expertise and oversight of school health services as well as promotes healthy education. Because healthy children are successful learners, school nurses advocate for the physical, emotional, mental, and social health of students.
- Provide preventive services
- Identify problems in the earliest stages
- Oversee interventions and referrals as a way to foster health and ensure educational success
- Serve as liaisons between school personnel, family, and community healthcare providers to ensure a healthy school environment
- Serve as consultants with other school professionals, such as food service personnel, physical education teachers, coaches, and counselors
- Monitor immunizations, managing communicable diseases, and assessing the school environment as to prevent injury and ensure safety
- Make decisions related to the delegation of healthcare tasks as directed by state laws and professional practice guidance
How to Fight Germs
- Avoid close contact with those who are sick.
- If your child is ill, including vomiting, diarrhea, or fever, PLEASE keep them home for at least 24 hours. The fever must be gone WITHOUT the use of fever-reducing medications before they should return to school.
- Cover nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water, but if not available, use an alcohol-based rub or sanitizer.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth. Germs spread fast this way!
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that may be contaminated with germs.
Update Your Contact Information
Please let us know if there is a change in your phone or cell phone numbers during the school year. It can be very frightening for a sick or injured child if we are unable to contact their parents right away. When there is an emergency it is very important for us to be able to reach you as soon as possible.
Ms. Tracy Longerbeam, R.N.
Ms. Longerbeam grew up in Ranson WV. She graduated from Shepherd College in 1999 with Bachelor Of Science Degree in Nursing. Her work experience includes ER Nurse, Operating Room Nurse, and School Nurse at John Kerr Elementary since 2016.