The school nurse provides expertise and oversight of school health services as well as promotes healthy education. Because healthy children are successful learners, school nurses advocate for the physical, emotional, mental, and social health of students.
- Provide preventive services
- Identify problems in the earliest stages
- Oversee interventions and referrals as a way to foster health and ensure educational success
- Serve as liaisons between school personnel, family, and community healthcare providers to ensure a healthy school environment
- Serve as consultants with other school professionals, such as food service personnel, physical education teachers, coaches, and counselors
- Monitor immunizations, managing communicable diseases, and assessing the school environment as to prevent injury and ensure safety
- Make decisions related to the delegation of healthcare tasks as directed by state laws and professional practice guidance