We shall always be bound together by the intangible Blue and White Spirit. This is one thing we have in common, and it will always serve as a bond and a beacon light to guide us onward and upward. -Charlena Marie Washington, Class of 1964
On November 1, 1927, 6 teachers and 150 students entered the Douglas School for the first time. They marched from their old school-a small, three-room building known as the Winchester Colored School or the Old Stone School. With over 100 students, the Old Stone School was much too small. In 1924, parents petitioned the city for a new building. By September 1927, the school board laid the cornerstone.
Conditions at Winchester Colored School were common during school segregation. The concept of "separate but equal" was rarely true. African American schools were overcrowded, underfunded, and received little support.
Likely named for Frederick Douglass, but shortened to distinguish itself from nearby Douglass School in Leesburg, the restored Douglas School is a testament to its community. The Douglas Story sheds light on the harsh realities of segregation and the determination of students, parents, and teachers to ensure each child received an education.
Dr. Taylor F. Finley graduated from Douglas School in 1918 and came back to teach from 1933 to 1938.
He opened the Finley Recreation Center and was a founding member of the Douglas Alumni Association. To date, he is Winchester's only Black dentist. Dr. Finley was the first Black
man on the City Council. He had famous musicians such as Ray Charles, James Brown, Lloyd Price, and Fats Domino play at the Finley Recreation Center to sold-out crowds.
A 1927 Douglas graduate, Katherine D Ford operated the cafeteria for Douglas School students. She also supervised the Douglas Summer Program for Black Youth, the Monday night program at the War Memorial Building, and the
Friday night program at the National Guard Armory.
Egg-nog Pound Cake from Ms. Lovelena Lomax Marcus, Home Economics teacher from 1927-1966. Ms. Marcus was likely the longest tenured teacher at Douglas.
Bake 1-1/2 hr. at 325° F or until it leaves the sides of the pan.
Cream sugar and butter until of whipped cream consistency. Beat in eggs one at a time. Sift flour, salt, and B. P. together. Add to the butter mixture a little at a time, beating after each addition. Add sour cream and beat well. Then add flavorings and blend in well. Place in a greased & floured mold & bake as directed.
Tuscan Jasper was a music teacher at
Douglas from approximately 1958 to 1964. He also directed the band and the Glee Club. In 1960, the
Douglas High School Band participated in commencement exercises for the first time under Mr. Jasper's direction. The Douglas Concert Band also held its first concert in the school auditorium in 1960. A reporter from the Winchester Evening Star wrote, "Impressive as a performance by a high school group could be expected, this one was even
more so when taken into consideration that this is the students' first year together."
A 1918 Douglas graduate, Kirk N. Gaskins, Sr., returned to teach at both the junior and high school levels. He became the Principal of Douglas School
from 1940 to 1966. Mr. Gaskins was deeply dedicated to serving Douglas and missed only ten days of school during his 30-year tenure.
Upon his retirement, Mr. Gaskins gave this advice to educators:
"Now to you who are still in the field, I say rededicate yourselves to the unfinished task. The work of the world is not completed yet. A better way must be found and established to maintain world peace. More communication with dialogue must be set up. [ ... ] These goals must be met by the youngsters in your classrooms with your guidance and instruction only." - June 3, 1968
Principal Powell W. Gibson oversaw both the Winchester Colored School and the Douglas
School as Principal from 1916 to 1940. Gibson is credited with naming Douglas School after one
of the most famed African Americans in U.S. history, Frederick Douglass. It is uncertain when and why the second 's' was dropped from the
name. A writer, Mr. Gibson authored a book of poems called "Grave and Comic Rhyme" and
also wrote two plays.
Effie McKinney Davis came to Douglas School in 1943. She taught science, coached cheerleading, instructed the school dance teams, and served as Senior Class Advisor. When schools were integrated in 1966, she became a guidance counselor at Handley High School. In 1975, Davis was appointed to fill an unexpired term on the City
Council. She would be elected to a full term in 1978, becoming
Winchester's first Black woman to serve on City Council.
Lovelena Lomax Marcus was at Douglas School from 1927 through 1966. She was the
only Home Economics teacher and also taught high school English. She was likely the longest tenured teacher at Douglas. Several of her artifacts, including recipes, can be found on the shelves in
Conference Room 104.
Edwin K. Barksdale was a Biology and Physical Education teacher as well as an assistant principal. He coached boys and girls basketball, including junior varsity, and directed the Saturday Morning Midget League (youth) basketball programs. During "The Barksdale Years," the basketball team won ten district championships, four regional championships, and was a two-time state finalist. He also coached the football team during his career at Douglas from 1950 to 1966.
The football team won four district championships and had two undefeated seasons.
Coach Barksdale taught his students to work hard, show up on time, and do their best.