The school was named for the first public school benefactor in Winchester, Mr. John Kerr, a prosperous cabinetmaker, whose shop was located at the northeast corner of Boscawen and Loudoun Streets on the mall. He died on November 15, 1875. In his will, he arranged for funds to be used for the education of the children of Winchester. In 1883, City Council added $6000 more to this total, and the John Kerr Public School building was erected.
In 1972, the second John Kerr School was built on Jefferson Street behind John Handley High School. The original John Kerr building, at the corner of Cameron and Cork Streets, continues to serve hundreds of students each year as a facility for Shenandoah University fine arts and other special interest classes for learners of all ages.
The current John Kerr School opened August 2016, and is located on Meadow Branch Avenue on the western side of Winchester.
COLORS: Blue and Red MASCOT: Cardinal